Barbecue Trout Recipes - Stuffed Whole Trout
People tend to think of salmon when it comes to barbecuing fish.
But trout is another tasty option for the grill. There are lots of
barbecue trout recipes,
but this one is just for grilling a whole, stuffed fish - a wonderful
way to enjoy trout. Here's an easy BBQ trout recipe for a whole fish.
What You Need
- Whole cleaned trout, 6" to 8" in length - plan for one per person
- Lemon slices, enough for stuffing the fish
- Thinly-sliced onion, enough for stuffing the fish
- Sprinkle of fresh chopped rosemary (or use dried)
- Fresh chopped green onion
- Fresh chopped garlic
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Approximately 1 tbsp of butter per fish
Preparing the Trout
- Rinse the trout inside and out under cold running water, and pat dry (inside and out).
- Lightly oil the fish inside and out.
- Sprinkle with salt & pepper, and rub with chopped garlic.
- Stuff the cavity of each trout with the remaining ingredients, adding little pats
of butter along the length of the cavity.
Grilling the Fish
- Pre-heat the barbecue and get it nice and hot.
- Grease the clean cooking grate well.
- Gently transfer each whole fish to the grill using a wide spatula or fish flipper
(the whole fish should be supported so that it doesn't fall apart).
- Depending on the thickness of the fish, grill for 4-7 minutes per side. Turn only once
(carefully, with the spatula), when you see the color of the fish start to change.
If you prefer, you can also use a fish grilling basket,
or wrap each trout in heavy-duty aluminum foil (or double-wrap if in regular foil) before grilling.
Barbecue trout recipes are pretty quick and easy, because trout is such a
flavorful fish as it is. It doesn't need a lot of enhancement to let the
taste shine through. Once the fish is cooked, both the skin and bones can
be easily removed. Serve the fish hot off the grill and garnish with fresh
lemon or lime wedges and parsley sprigs. Goes great with barbecued vegetable
skewers or delicious BBQ corn. Check our website
for more BBQ seafood recipes.
This website offers tips on how to BBQ
as well as
some of our favorite barbecue recipes
. We barbecue with a charcoal grill
in an outdoor kamado-style cooker called The Big Green Egg
We love food and we love the grill, and hope you enjoy our recipes!