Citrus BBQ Snapper Recipe
Red snapper is a slightly sweet, nutty-flavored fish that's an
excellent choice for the grill. You can use other types of snapper
for this BBQ snapper recipe,
but red snapper really is a great choice because it's so versatile.
You can more or less season it any way you like and it'll taste good
barbecued! Here's our version of this grilled fish recipe.
What You Need
- 1 pound of red snapper fillets (divide into 4 portions)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp fresh, finely-chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp of finely-grated lemon juice
- 3 tbsp of fresh sweet orange juice
- 1 tbsp fresh, finely-minced ginger root
- Salt, to taste
- Extra lemon wedges for garnish.
Preparing the Fish
- Rinse the red snapper under cold running water, then pat dry. Put in a shallow dish.
- Whisk together the remaining ingredients (except for the lemon wedges).
- Reserve 2 tbsp of marinade.
- Pour the remaining marinade over the fish. Make sure the fish is coated completely. Cover the
dish and let marinate in the refrigerator for 20 to 30 minutes.
How to Barbecue
- Pre-heat the grill to medium-high.
- Grease the cooking grate so that the fish won't stick. If you have a
fish grill basket
you can use this instead as it will prevent the fish from falling through the grate.
- Grill 8-10 minutes per inch of thickness. Carefully turn once during cooking. Fish
is done when the meat is opaque and flakes easily.
- While the snapper is cooking, boil the reserved marinade until it thickens slightly.
You can then use it to baste the fish after it's been turned, or you can pour the sauce
on top of the fish after it's done.
- Grill lemon wedges for 1-2 minutes, then serve immediately with the fish.
Changing up this BBQ snapper recipe is easy, and encouraged! We modify recipes all
the time, adding and removing ingredients or changing the quantities depending on what
we're in the mood for. Check out our other
BBQ seafood recipes
for other ideas for the grill.
This website offers tips on how to BBQ
as well as
some of our favorite barbecue recipes
. We barbecue with a charcoal grill
in an outdoor kamado-style cooker called The Big Green Egg
We love food and we love the grill, and hope you enjoy our recipes!