Tender & Spicy BBQ Calamari Recipe
This BBQ calamari recipe is a tasty
appetizer with just a hint of spice. All you do is mix up some seasonings, coat
the calamari, and then grill it up in a just a few minutes. The trick to great
grilled calamari is the cooking time ... be sure not to overcook or it will get
tough and rubbery. It's done when the meat turns opaque but is still tender.
What You Need
- 1 lb of calamari tubes, cleaned
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp to 3/4 tsp of sea salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp finely crushed red pepper flakes
- Fresh lemons, cut into wedges - for garnish
Preparing the Calamari
- Slice open the calamari so that it lies flat.
- Rinse under cold running water, then thoroughly pat dry both sides.
- Cut calamari into 1 inch strips.
- Mix together the oil and seasonings, then toss with the calamari until it's evenly coated.
- Marinate for 15 to 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
It's really, really, really important not to overcook calamari, so watch it carefully!
It will literally take only minutes to cook.
- Preheat the barbecue to medium-high heat.
- Lightly grease a fish basket (used so that the calamari pieces don't fall through the cooking grate).
If you don't have a fish basket, use a piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil instead.
- Place the calamari on the BBQ and cook just until tender. The edges will curl and the calamari
will be lightly browned. This may only take 1-3 minutes per side, depending on how hot your barbecue is.
- Remove from the heat and serve immediately, garnished with fresh lemon wedges.
This tasty BBQ calamari recipe is a wonderful appetizer or as a
topping for a salad. You can find more BBQ appetizer recipes
and BBQ seafood recipes throughout our site.
This website offers tips on how to BBQ
as well as
some of our favorite barbecue recipes
. We barbecue with a charcoal grill
in an outdoor kamado-style cooker called The Big Green Egg
We love food and we love the grill, and hope you enjoy our recipes!