BBQ Mushrooms Recipe - Easy and Versatile
Mushrooms are a wonderful addition to any barbecue meal. There
are lots of mushrooms recipes, but here is one BBQ mushrooms recipe
that we love for its simplicity, versatility, and of course, taste!
We've used this easy recipe on both button mushrooms and with
portobello mushrooms. For a twist, you can even chop up the mushroom
stems and add to the other ingredients for a yummy filling you can
stuff into the mushroom caps.
What You Need
- 1 pound of fresh, cleaned button or portobello mushrooms.
- 1 small red onion, chopped into small chunks.
- 1 tbsp olive oil.
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice.
- 1 tbsp liquid honey.
- 1 tbsp fresh, finely-grated ginger root.
- 1 tbsp fresh, finely-chopped garlic.
- Salt, to taste.
- (Optional) Skewers
(soak bamboo or wood skewers in water for at 1-2 hours first).
How To Prepare This Recipe
- Put the mushrooms and onions in a bowl. Whisk together all the other ingredients,
then pour over the vegetables, reserving a couple of tablespoons for basting.
- Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for about half an hour.
- Remove veggies from the marinade and discard used marinade.
- If using the skewers, thread mushrooms and onions alternately onto the skewers
(if you're using portobello mushrooms, you can 'stuff' the caps with the onions
Variation: if you prefer to serve just the mushroom caps, you can chop
the stems. Chop the red onion finely, then mix with the mushroom stems and the garlic.
Whisk the remaining ingredients together, reserving a couple of tablespoons. Pour
the rest of the marinade on the mushrooms and let marinate in the fridge for 30
minutes. Remove and discard used marinade. Mix the reserved marinade with the
mushroom stem/onion/garlic mixture and stuff into the caps.
How To Grill These Mushrooms
- Pre-heat barbecue to medium-high.
- Lightly oil the cooking grate (if you're not using skewers, you can instead
use a grill basket
so that your mushrooms and onions don't fall through the grate. Or you can just use foil too).
- Place veggies on the BBQ and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Baste
with reserved marinade for extra flavor. Best served immediately.
Mushroom caps variation: if you're grilling caps only, then do
not turn the mushrooms (or all the stuffed-in goodies will fall out!).
Reduce heat to medium and grill until tender and the stuffing is hot.
You can easily add and remove, increase or decrease the amount of
ingredients from this BBQ mushrooms recipe to suit your taste. Find
more side dishes for BBQ to
add to your meal.
. We barbecue with a charcoal grill
in an outdoor kamado-style cooker called
We love food and we love the grill, and hope you enjoy our recipes!