BBQ Hamburgers Recipe - Basic But Tasty
Burgers are a staple for the barbecue. There are lots of recipes
available, but there's actually no need to get complicated - a simple,
well-made hamburger is plenty tasty on the grill (and it saves you the
hassle of putting together something 'fussy' when you're tired). Here's
a good and easy BBQ hamburgers recipe.
What You Need
- 1 lb of ground beef (we suggest using regular ground beef because it has
some fat in it, which will help keep the burgers juicy and flavorful. But you
can still use lean beef if you prefer it). If you can find it, use ground
sirloin for great flavor.
- 1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Salt & pepper, to taste
Assembling the Burger
It seems like most of our friends -- and us too -- remember
growing up with those big burgers our moms used to make.
They were heavy, huge, and (sorry, mom!) really not that great.
The key to assembling a great hamburger is delicacy. Yup,
that's right... you want to handle it just barely enough to
form it into a light patty and then leave it alone. Don't cram
it together into a giant, dense meat-puck!
- Mix together all of the ingredients, just until blended.
- Lightly form patties about 1/2" to 1" thick. Don't make them too thick,
as thick burgers are hard to cook properly on the BBQ.
- Lay the burgers in a single layer on a piece of waxed paper. Cover with
another piece of waxed paper.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour, two is better. This will help the hamburger
stick together so that it won't easily fall apart on the grill.
Grilling the Burger
- Preheat the BBQ to medium-high heat.
- Grease the cooking grate.
- Place the burgers on the grate, cooking for 3-5 minutes per side until done.
Cook time depends on the thickness of the burger.
- If you want to add cheese, top the burger with a slice of cheese in the last
couple of minutes of cook time so that the cheese melts.
Serve with fresh hamburger rolls and garnish with anything you like - ketchup,
mustard, mayonnaise, relish, pickles, tomatoes, lettuce, onions, different types
of cheeses, bacon, jalepeno peppers ... anything that looks good! In addition to
this BBQ hamburgers recipe, check out our other
BBQ beef recipes. And look for some great
sides dishes for BBQ too!
. We barbecue with a charcoal grill
in an outdoor kamado-style cooker called
We love food and we love the grill, and hope you enjoy our recipes!