Recipe for Barbecue Pizza Appetizers
If you've never cooked a pizza on the BBQ, you're in for a treat.
Barbecue pizza has that wonderfully
crisp 'pizza-oven'-like crust, and if you like, you can even add
wood chips for smoke flavor. We'll admit
it takes a bit more work - but we think the results are worth it!
Here's one of our favorite recipes that includes BBQ chicken. Serve
small slices as an appetizer or make little mini-pizzas. Always a hit!
What You Need
- Pizza dough - any type you like
- 3 boneless chicken breasts, barbecued and chopped into 1/2" chunks
- 1/2 cup of barbecue sauce (if you didn't already baste your chicken in it)
- 1 cup of spicy tomato sauce
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 cup sliced button mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped red pepper
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup shredded monterery-jack cheese
Preparing and Barbecuing the Pizza
- Pre-heat your grill to medium-high.
- Grease the cooking grate very well - you don't want the pizza dough to stick.
- Roll the pizza dough into 4" to 6" mini-rounds, about 1/4" thick. Make sure the dough is very well-floured.
- Place the dough rounds onto the BBQ and lightly grill each side until slightly browned.
- Remove dough from the BBQ. Spread with the tomato sauce.
- If you didn't already baste your chicken with barbecue sauce, toss it now with the sauce.
- Sprinkle onions over the sauce, then the chicken, mushrooms, and red pepper. Cover evenly with the two cheeses.
- Set up the BBQ for indirect cooking on medium-low to medium heat. This will help to prevent the pizza crust from
burning before the toppings are cooked and the cheese melted.
- Place the mini pizzas back on the BBQ, and put the lid down. Check periodically to see when it's ready.
The next time you want something other than meat on the grill,
give barbecue pizza a try! Find more BBQ appetizer recipes
or check out some great side dishes for the BBQ.
This website offers tips on how to BBQ
as well as
some of our favorite barbecue recipes
. We barbecue with a charcoal grill
in an outdoor kamado-style cooker called The Big Green Egg
We love food and we love the grill, and hope you enjoy our recipes!